E.V.E.’s basic philosophical premise is one that distinguishes it from other organizations in Oklahoma; it recognizes the underutilization of the powerful human concept of love. Though discussing and understanding aggression and violence is vital, it is equally vital to promote the antithesis of violence: peace. This concept is not a “Pollyanna” approach to a very serious crisis in Oklahoma; there is not current research to negate the argument that a person driven and reinforced using compassion, understanding, communication and insight will be violent as compared to a person lacking these qualities – conversely, evidence strongly suggests the opposite, that a rational person exhibiting these qualities will be less likely to engage in violence as a means to solve problems. We believe that behavior must be linked to the concept of love; that love through perception, compassion and behavior will, in fact, decrease violent choices and lead people and communities to rationally come to consensus on disagreements.
There are key factors that promote violence in Oklahoma--deprivation of basic needs and relatively high level of poverty; ignorance to the destructiveness of violence; societal rewarding of violence; greed/materialism; justifying "righteous violence"; a general lack of education; and many others.
1. E.V.E. posits the human being is inherently self-serving and predisposed to aggressive behavior under certain conditions.
2. E.V.E. acknowledges that societies regularly engage in forms of accepted and mutually agreed upon violent activity (e.g. sports and self-defense).
3. While promoting solutions to reduce existing violence, E.V.E.'s primary goal is to prevent violence through cultural change.
4. E.V.E. will be fact-based and theory-driven – not euphemistic or subject to popular opinion in its focus
5. E.V.E. believes that all social communities in Oklahoma should be as violence-free as possible.
6. E.V.E. believes that the degree to which we are successful in violence prevention reduces the necessity for law enforcement and/or DHS intervention.
7. E.V.E. recognizes that power exists in all relationships, and no relationship is "equal". But, relationships can be loving and just as partners understand the concept of power.
Ending Violence Everywhere is a non-partisan, not for profit citizens coalition taking a peaceful stand against the culture of violence.
E.V.E. is a citizen coalition demanding change in the culture of violence through education, prevention, treatment, and intervention. Through education, Oklahomans can understand the psychology and sociology of aggressive behavior. Through prevention, Oklahomans can address the "culture of violence" which has become almost synonymous with American pride. It is time to bring balance to human activity by promoting compassion and civility as equally patriotic in a society that accepts some forms and levels of aggression. Through treatment, persons already affected by the culture of violence can take steps to change their attitudes, behaviors, and responses to potentially violent situations. Through intervention, E.V.E. and others interested in reducing violence, can identify entry points to change the culture of violence in Oklahoma. Having a coalition of citizens dedicated to this vision and using these methods, E.V.E. believes Oklahoma can and will reduce violence.
Contact us at 405-821-4180 or at 405-537-4955
E.V.E. is a citizen coalition demanding change in the culture of violence through education, prevention, treatment, and intervention.